Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My DIY Defeat


If the superstitions are true, I'm in for a lot of bad luck. We've all heard opening an umbrella indoors or a black cat crossing in front of you can bring bad luck. I really hope the one about breaking a mirror bringing you 7 years of bad luck turns out to be an old wives’ tale.

Being the frugal, re-purposing addict that I am, I bought a mirror at the salvage yard. For $1/ft², you can't beat it - or can you?


I figured if I can conquer the miter saw and router, cutting plate glass shouldn't be a problem. Boy was I wrong. It seemed indestructible. I got all the tools ready and followed all the instructions - but it wouldn't snap. Well, never mind, it did snap - right down the center.


Fail


I tried getting another piece from the salvage yard, but having learned my lesson the hard way, I brought it to a glass cutting house. I brought it home and as I’m getting it out of my truck - clipped it on my car door. You guessed it, cracked again.


Lots of bad luck.
After another mirror and another cut, the mirror ended up costing more than if I just paid for it brand new. I was defeated by a mirror!

Anyway, enough of my mirror drama...

I had an old door without the glass pane and 3 holes drilled in the side.




I used a hole saw bit to make 2 wood cutouts to fill the top two holes. I covered it up with an antique knocker I found at the flea market.


I chose a old door knob from my small collection to fill the last hole.



 I installed the mirror in the door by removing the trim on the backside of the door. I replaced the trim with a pneumatic nail gun and 2 inch finishing nails.

.



I'm debating whether or not to put coat hooks on the sides. This would make a great entry-way coat rack/leaning mirror. 


- Kristin

P.S. I added a new gadget! You can now follow me by e-mail. See the top right sidebar. 
Sign on up!

No comments:

Post a Comment