Thursday, June 9, 2011

Something Tangible

I've always had creative ideas and have always loved working hands-on. But, it wasn't until about a year and a half ago that I pulled the trigger and decided to turn my ideas into something tangible. My first project was inspired by a couple of shutters and four spindles at a local salvage company.



For a short while, I was a fabricator, working mainly with plastics, but my carpentry skills were far from extensive… and that combined with old, cracked wood makes for a table that is stable, but not too sturdy.  But its been good to me.




I have several other pieces that I’ve built or repurposed since then. Each one takes me through the trials and errors, but each one gets better (and sturdier.) By now, I can tell you that shortcuts do not save you time! Spend the extra time and do it right the first time.

Now that my “hobby” is becoming more of a full-time job on nights and weekends, my mud-room/workshop turned into a mess! After my boyfriend casually mentioned something about the landmine of power tools on the floor, I figured it was time to do something – and that something was yet another project.

Here’s a sneak peak of that project…



More to come tomorrow.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment