Saturday, July 16, 2011

Eclectic Funky

I love finding new words to describe things. Simple words can resurrect and image from dull to vibrant. Or they can leave you in a tizzy.

When I saw an ad on Craigslist titled "Eclectic Funky Wooden Chair," I was intrigued. I mean, wouldn't you be a little curious to see what an eclectic funky wooden chair looked like?

Well, this is what I saw when I opened the ad:


Eclectic? Yes, I suppose.


Funky? 


Absolutely. In every sense of the term.

I can promise you that this cushion was not repurposed.

The seller told me this furniture was left in a house they bought from a Sherrif's Sale. She showed me around the house to see the rest of the antique furniture for sale. On the fireplace mantle was an old photo... similar to this:


While I was taking the cushion off the chair, an old seam ripper fell out. I just imaged the life of this lady living Uptown in this old house - sewing in the "eclectic"chair. 

I could also picture her sitting at this gorgeous secretary. 


Don't expect me to paint this. It would be a crime to cover it with anything but a little bit of Pledge.

But, the funky chair needed paint - and a good scrubbing. 


And another coat of paint. 


And a new cushion!


Finding fabric for this chair wasn't as easy as I thought. It was difficult to find a something that complimented the square edges of the chair and the round patter of the caning.



This fabric had enough geometric elements to tie the piece together. 


The rust color pillow helps make it eclectic -and a tad bit funky - the good kind of funky. 



-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment